Saturday, August 7, 2010

Adventures of Unix boy in Windows land.

So for the last several years I have been a Unix administrator down in the SF Bay Area. Recently my family and I decided to move back to Chico. It is hard to find a job in Chico, but as luck would have it, I got a position back at the hospital where I used to work. The only problem with this so far is they are a total Windows shop. Not so much fun for a Unix guy.

On the bright side, I am getting to play with Citrix a lot.

So I thought I might spend some time telling you all about my adventures in Windows Land.

So far, I am still on my own laptop, running Ubuntu. I am sure everyone thinks I am crazy, just running a Windows VM via RDP. When I asked for a system, they said they were low on them, but could give me a thin client running off a VMWare server. I nixed the thin client and just started connecting via RDP. It is just I find it hard to give up my beloved operating system of choice for my little laptop. I suppose I could dual boot the thing, but that seems to me like giving in a bit.

So far... I don't feel hampered at all. It is a little harder to get files between my laptop and my VM, but that is really not too much of an issue for me, I kind of like the separation that the VM is able to give me. The only thing that I have had troubles with so far is getting a CD that was handed to me onto the VM. I am halfway thinking about just putting VMWare server on my laptop to solve this issue.

Another thing that is slightly annoying is getting clipboard from between RDP sessions, but I think I have that hunted down, will play with it on Monday. For posterity sake this thread seems to indicate that there are some cool command line configs I can run with the client. When will I learn to just read the stupid man pages?

It is my goal to show everyone that you can run linux just fine in a total Windows shop, and maybe keep a bit of a log about how this is going for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment